» Centenary Activities
Celebrating the Centenary
2016 is the 100th birthday of the Senior Section - girls and young women from 14-26 years old - the Spectaular. Senior Section members can be Young Leaders, Rangers or Adult Leaders and Unit Helpers. Each county in Anglia Region is organising a Spectacular event for the Senior Section. There is also a Mission Spectacular challenge which can be enjoyed by all sections. More information on the Spectacular website.
2014 was the Centenary of Brownies and Star Quest celebrations were held during the year for the Big Brownie Birthday. Rainbows, Guides and Senior Section joined in the fun by participating in the Big Brownie Birthday Challenge. It was an exciting year for all the Brownies.
In May the Guiders from the district dressed up to represent the four World Centres in Mexico, India, Switzerland and England, and provided activities for the Brownies to enjoy at their big event to celebrate the Big Brownie Birthday.
2010 was the Centenary of GIrlguiding and what a year it was demonstrating that Girlguiding is just as popular and relevant today as it was 100 years ago. In September 1910 a small group of girls attended the first Scout rally at Crystal Palace and said to Lord Baden-Powell that they wanted something for the girls - and that was the start of Girlguiding. Some of the activities we participated in as a district, or separate units during the centenary year are listed below:
- Centenary Launch – Belchamps – County activity day finishing with a firework display - Essex South East held its centenary launch at Belchamps Scout Centre in Hawkwell, Essex. It was an afternoon of activiites such as crate stacking, abseiling, high ropes, archery - as well as circus skills, crafts, and fun! It culminated with a campfire in the evening and magnificent firework display.
- Walk around the County
- Billericay Division – Sleepover and Day out at Adventure Island, Southend-on-Sea – on 23/24 April Guides from Essex SE had a sleepover then congreated in Southend to walk the pier and renew their Promise (or make it for the first time) at the end of the pier (in the rain) before returning to Adventure Island for an afternoon of fun with friends on the various rides.
- Stomp at Barleylands - Billericay Division held its Centenary Stomp at Barleylands when all sections joined together for a day of fun activities and crafts before spelling out 100 with people!
- Switzerland – 4 Guiders from SWF joined Guiders from around the country including Ireland on a 10 day trip to Switzerland, including a visit to Our Chalet. Pictured here at the top of the Nielsen railway, 2322 metres up in the Swiss alps. During the week the group experienced a visit to the Trommelbach falls, a visit to Our Chalet and to Kandersteg, the Scout world centre, a trip on the Nielsen railway, a visit to Bern, various walks in the area, an evening meal up a mountain, and many other memorable experiences in this beautiful area.
- Vision Finale – 20:10 on 20th October 2010 - the end of our centenary was celebrated with a district campfire at our own Guide HQ attended by girls and parents. At 20:10 all girls renewed their Promise and thought about how they could make a difference in the future.